The 72nd World Health Assembly, Geneva, 20th -22nd May, 2019
Dr. Calum Macpherson, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, Director-General, World Health Organization (WHO), Hon. Nickolas Steele, MP, Minister of Health, Social Security and International Business, Grenada, Dr. Trevor Noël.
WINDREF’s Director, Dr. Calum Macpherson and Deputy Director, Dr. Trevor Noel, attended The 72nd World Health Assembly as members of the Grenada delegation. The delegation was headed by Honorable Nickolas Steele, MP, Minister of Health, Social Security and International Business, and included Dr. George Mitchell (Chief Medical Officer), Dr. Thom Tyson (CEO, Grenada Health System), Dr. Lutz Amechi (Medical Director, St. Augustine Medical Services), His Excellency Oleg Firer (Ambassador for Grenada to the Russian Federation) and Mr. Stephen Fevrier (Charge D’ Affairs, OECS Mission in Geneva).
At the meeting, Grenada, Guyana and Argentina were elected as Executive Board Members of the WHA.
Functions of the World Health Assembly include:
- The Health Assembly is the supreme decision-making body of the Organization
- It sets policy, approves the budget, appoints the Director-General, names Member States entitled to designate Executive Board Members, establishes committees, and provides instruction to the Board and Director General.
- It has the authority to adopt conventions or agreements with respect to any matter falling within the competence of the Organization.
- The Assembly may adopt regulations concerning sanitary and quarantine requirements; nomenclatures for diseases, causes of death, and public health practices; standards with respect to diagnostic procedures for international use; standards for the safety, purity, and potency of biological and pharmaceutical products moving in international commerce; and advertising and labelling of biological and pharmaceutical products moving in international commerce.
- The Executive Board is represented at the Health Assembly by its Chairman and its first three Vice-Chairmen.